Our windshields take a beating, especially when traveling behind vehicles that throw up small stones from the road. Often small cracks occur, which over time can begin to expand. Before you know it, cracks have spread across the windshield. Cracks can be fixed quickly and easily with one of the windshield chip repair kits down bellow. Also, make sure you read out guide on how to fix a spider crack with a windshield chip repair kit.
A small chip or crack in the glass can easily be repaired, while long cracks across the windshield can turn into expensive repair jobs replacing the entire windshield. Repair or replace the windshield based on the size of the chip or crack.
Top 6 Best Windshield Chip Repair Kit To Fix a Spider Crack
There are a vast amount of windshield repair kits on the market that can be used to repair chips in your windshield. Factors such as ease of use, the strength of resin, time to dry, fixing one or two layers of glass, clear instructions, chemicals used, price, mixing, support information, overall results were used to compare these kits. These windshield kits include instructions, resin, applicator, and a razor.
How to Fix a Spider Crack with a DIY Windshield Repair a Chip or Crack Kit
Windshield repair kits are relatively easy to use and inexpensive compared to a professional windshield repair shop. Car owners should repair chips immediately to avoid cracks spreading across the windshield and requiring an expensive full replacement. All kits come with ample instructions, including online videos, which demonstrate the process to achieve excellent results. Read and follow the manual instructions that come with the kit carefully.
1. Prepare the cracked windshield: Repair your cracked windshield as soon after the chip occurs to prevent the expansion of the crack across the windshield. Place a piece of cardboard on the windshield on the inside to make the chip easier to see.
2. Clean the surface with alcohol: Always clean the glass in the area of the chip before completing any repairs. Use a microfiber cloth and alcohol. Spray the alcohol on the cloth, never on the windshield, and clean the glass thoroughly.
3. Use a safety pin to remove the extra glass: There may be loose particles in the area of the chipped glass. Use a safety pin to gently remove any loose particles. Wipe the area with the microfiber cloth one more time.
4. Place the seal around the spider crack in your windshield: Peel off one side of the seal and place it over the area of the crack with the crack in the middle and the tab facing upwards. Make sure the chipped area is precisely in the middle of the circle.
5. Install the pedestal that comes in the repair kit: Peel off the remaining seal and place the pedestal on the seal. Press down to make sure the pedestal is secured tightly to the seal. Resin repair requires a tight seal to the windshield.
6. Insert 3/4 of the resin tube onto the suction cups: Squeeze ¾ of the resin tube inside the resin chamber of the pedestal. Avoid drops on your windshield.
7. Use the syringe to pull upwards and lock position for a few minutes: Insert the syringe into the pedestal and while holding the syringe in place, draw the plunger upwards and lock it in place. This action removes air, creating a vacuum and draws the air from the break.
8. Knock around the damaged windshield crack: Knock gently with the knuckles of your hand around the pedestal to help any air bubbles migrate away from the crack, allowing the resin to penetrate the crack. Wait 10 minutes for resin curing.
9. Apply downward pressure using the syringe: After waiting 10 minutes, press the plunger in, lock it in place, and wait another 20 minutes for the resin to set and dry thoroughly.
10. Remove the seal and pedestal with a razor blade: Starting at the tab, use the razor blade to pull the tab, pedestal, and seal off your windshield.
12. Drop resin and paste the cured film: Using the remaining resin, place a drop directly on the chip area, use the cured film to spread the resin, and use the razor blade to spread the resin across the chip area uniformly to remove any bubbles.
13. Allow direct sunlight/UV light onto the glass for 20 minutes of curing time: Let the resin cure for 20 minutes in direct sunlight or one hour in the shade or on a cloudy day. Use may also use a UV curing light e.g., UV lamp.
14. Carefully tear off the cured film: Use the razor blade at one corner of the cured film to raise it up, and tear off the cured film carefully.
15. Scrap off the excess resin: Keep the razor blade parallel with the glass to avoid scratching the glass and scrape off the excess resin from the windshield.
Evaluate what type of chip damage occurred to see if you can do it yourself with resin
Many drivers have experienced the inconvenience of a damaged windshield. All it takes is a minimal rock as you drive on the highway or a small tree branch where the vehicle is parked, to turn your windshield into a spider web crack. When this happens, you need to repair or replacement for the damaged windshield immediately.
There are two main reasons why you should get immediate services, and they are vision and safety enhancement. It is crucial to be able to see correctly as you drive, and the slightest damage can affect your vision. The damaged glass compromises the safety of the driver and passengers.
One crucial decision after the damage is whether to get a replacement or if you can repair it. Glass repair is faster and more cost effective, and many drivers choose this option when they want quick results. Several factors will determine whether the repair is an option for your situation.
Location of the damage
Where the crack or chip appears will determine if repair is a feasible option. If the damage occurs at the edge of the windscreen, it may require replacement. This is because this type of damage often weakens the structural integrity of the windshield. A weak windshield compromises safety because it is susceptible to further damage.
It would take minimal impact to destroy an already weak glass surface. If the damaged section affects the ability to see by interfering with the driver’s line of vision, experts recommend replacement rather than repair.
Size of the damage
If the damaged section is large, the repair is often not an option. Many auto experts agree that if you cannot cover the damaged area using a business card, you may need entire glass replacement. Technicians inspect the vehicle before determining how to fix the damage, and the size of the chip or crack will determine the best plan of action. It is, however, essential to note that some auto shops repair larger cracks, and the results that you get depends on where you take your vehicle to quick fix the damage.
Type of damage
Many types of windshield damages are caused by different objects like rocks and other debris, branches, or due to impact from an accident. For damage to be repaired, the cracks or chips have to be reasonably small, but they must also be surface cracks. If the damage is through and through penetrating the surface or essentially creating a hole, the entire windshield will need to be replaced. The spider web cracks that usually occur after an accident will also usually warrant replacement.
If you leave the damage for too long before getting the repair, the chances are that you will need replacement. For best results, you need to get repair services immediately the damage occurs, and you can save yourself the considerable cost of windshield replacement. The longer a crack or chip remains unattended, the worse it becomes because dirt and debris widens or expands the damage. It is imperative to get a professional repair in order to get the best results.
Different types of windshield chips and cracks to repair on a car
There are many types of windshield chips and cracks. These chips and cracks vary based on the speed of the object hitting the glass, the angle, and the size of the object.
- Bullseye: Often caused by circular objects such as rocks hitting the glass, they cause round damage areas similar to a bullseye on a dartboard.
- Star Break: These are small cracks leading away from the point of impact on the windshield. They appear in a star burst pattern.
- Half moon: Similar to a bullseye, caused by a round object hitting the glass, they are round, but only half of a circle. They may not be completely circular.
- Combination break: These chips and cracks may contain several different types, such as a half-moon and starburst combined. This type of break is considered to be more extensive.
- Floater crack: A floater crack spreads out from the impact site and often will continue to expand unless repairs are completed soon after the original event.
- Stress crack: Stress cracks sometimes occur due to sudden dramatic changes in temperature. They are generally not caused by objects hitting the windshield.
- Stone: Sometimes a hard object hitting the windshield will dislodge small pieces of the glass windshield, leaving a small depression in the glass (small stone chips).
- Long crack: Long cracks often start from a small impact and gradually spread across the windshield. These cracks may spread within hours or days of the original impact.
Understanding the benefits of repairing your car windshield
It is good to know how to clean, repair, or maintain the windshield. Most of the motorists believe that windshield rock chip cannot be repaired. The truth is that this rock chip can be repaired easily if the significant area for the sight of the driver is not damaged. Your hundreds of dollar expenditure can be saved if the rock chip is fixed, as a substitute for replacement. In some cases, the driver does not need to pay even a single penny for repair.
The glass material is used in windshields; therefore, it is necessary to know the required maintenance process. Keep in mind, glad is made of flimsy material. It can break easily, and technicians will have to drill into windshield glass.
The repair technicians start their job by drilling into the windshield rock chip. They use vacuum pressure and insert a resin in the chip. Actually, the resin is compatible with fragile material and is used to fix windshield. As soon as the resin is injected, ultraviolet light is used to treat it. The excessive use of resin is scraped, and the glass looks spotless. The task to repair is almost finished as a windshield is free of cracking.
Danger of Breakage
There are possibilities that the rock chip can break while revamping. It is the reason; most companies take the high cost of repair work as there is danger of breakage. It is not the case that the company wants to earn a significant profit. The margin for income is windswept due to low-cost China windshields, the competitive local market, and the insurance charges. For the user, windshield repairing is a really profitable job that can be completed in 30 minutes.
Luckily, if the windshield lives long after the repair, keep an eye for mark where the windshield was stroked. The fixing work is related to structural revamping instead of cosmetic fixing. You can make some improvements by changing the appearance. Never gather dust or debris in splinter because it will make the repair work more prominent.
It is suggested to start the repair work as early as possible. The cracks look horrible and give a place to dirt to gather round. It is best to hire a technician and complete the revamp procedure. The tiny rock chip will provide more effective results than the large one. Moreover, the shine comes out of the cracks, which irritate the motorist.
Precautionary Measures for a Cracked Windshield
It is essential to know what to do when the windshield is hit by the rock. The first and foremost safety measure is to cover the area with a tape. The tape will keep away the dirt and trash to collect in the crack. Do not drive in hot temperatures. When the temperature gets colder, repair the crack and wash the car. The crack becomes more horrifying if preventive measures are ignored. Last but not least, check out the detail of insurance. Usually, insurance companies give the opportunity to repair the windshield.
Tips When Shopping For A Pro or DIY Auto Windshield Repair Kit
Generally speaking, each category offered by a windshield repair kit company is designed to repair a specific kind of damage. For a chip, a basic starter kit will do the trick and fix up to 100 different chipped windshields. Other kits will fix the same amount of windshields, but more types of damage, like chips and cracks of up to 18-inches in length. Each successive kit increases in price, the amount of damage it fixes, and how many repairs it will do – the big kits will repair up to 500 cracks of up to 36-inches.
Kits offered by different online companies vary slightly but are usually very similar, offering the repair resins, tools, and a DVD to help repair and a windshield. Tools like razor blades, crack expanders, an impact injector, mirror, injector needles, Dremel drill, a high impact cup, suction cup lubricant, resins, punches, drill bits, and a curing lamp are generally included in a starter windshield repair kit.
Because these are the primary tools required to do an easy job, so it would be a good idea to make sure that they are included in the kit you are considering buying. A more significant set will, logically, allow you to repair a more extensive array of damages. And anyone that fixes products for a living knows there is nothing worse than being in the middle of a project and finding you don’t have what you need to finish – don’t let that happen to you.
Tip: Check our scratch removal and repair product post.
Frequently Asked Questions
Readers may find additional information regarding repairs and replacements from reviewing the list of frequently asked questions about windshield damages that follow:
What is a spider crack?
The cracks in your windshield have the appearance of a spider, with a center area of impact and cracks leading out from the center. They are caused by rocks, hail, ice, or debris hitting the windshield.
How much does the Safelite windshield repair cost?
Many insurance companies will pay 100% of the cost of a windshield repair, depending on the insurance coverage purchased. The cost of full replacement of the windshield varies by type and size of the windshield. Windshield repair is much less expensive compared to having your windshield replaced.
Can I repair the crack in my windshield?
Repair kits are relatively inexpensive, and the instructions are easy to follow. Complete the repair as soon as possible after the crack appears to prevent further expansion. Windshield repair system work but it is recommended to replace the complete windshield for a new one at a local shop.
How do you stop a crack in a window from spreading?
The only way to prevent a windshield crack from spreading is to take action fast. Hence, you can quickly repair chip and crack using a windshield repair system. However, larger cracks will result in a glass replacement witch requires to be professionally repaired or replaced.
Complete repairs to the glass and windshield using a glass repair kit as soon as possible. Delays in repairing the windshield increase the risk of the crack spreading, especially if there are temperature variations. Windshield crack repair is relatively easy to do on your own. Don’t delay to repair cracked windshields.
Suggested post: DIY Auto headlight restoration guide and other tips.
Windshield Spider Crack Summary
Repairing a spider crack with a windshield chip repair kit is not complicated at all. However, you might want to use an auto glass professional with experience to get a windshield replacement or to fix the damaged windshield for yours. It is crucial to repair the cracks or chips as soon as possible to prevent them from spreading.
There is not much can do to prevent your cars windshield from getting hit by a rock chip. However, mobile windshield repairers will help you repair the chip at a very affordable price. Look for a glass windshield repair kit that includes resin and a 6pk package curing strips in the key features.
Windshield Chip Repair Kit
Lucky, this DIY guide makes fixing the crack an easy task. But, we strongly recommend getting auto glass replacement when your windshield cracks are too big. Also, your line of vision can be affected by chips and cracks, and this can compromise your safety while driving.
If a rock chips your windshield, take action by replacing it, finding a car window repair kit, or taking your car to an auto glass repair shop. You get bet best value for money If you purchase the blue star windshield repair kit or PDR king windshield repair kit.
Suggested post: Car repair and wiper blades review.